Watching their child suffer is every parent’s worst nightmare. Learning their suffering could have been avoided makes that pain even harder to bear.
If you believe your child suffered an injury due to somebody else’s preventable mistake, you should reach out to a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced Joliet child injury lawyer could meet with you to assess the details of what happened to your child. They could also let you know if filing a personal injury lawsuit against the person who hurt your child is a viable option for your family.
Typical Childhood Accidents in Joliet
Because childhood is a time for exploration and testing boundaries, parents expect their kids to get into their fair share of accidents before they grow up. It is perfectly normal to see kids walking around with minor scrapes and bruises from their everyday activities. However, it is not normal to see kids suffering the long term effects of life-altering injuries sustained in preventable accidents, such as the following:
- Automobile crashes – Even with car seats, seatbelts, airbags, and other enhanced safety protections available to children today, children still suffer devastating injuries in car crashes.
- Pedestrian accidents – Because kids are so much smaller and have a tendency to dart into the road, drivers need to watch for them.
- Bicycle accidents – Children relish the freedom that comes with riding a bike, but serious bike accidents occasionally occur.
- Dog bites – Because of their short stature and because they may not respect a dog’s space, kids often suffer dangerous, disfiguring bites.
- Playground accidents – Damaged or defective playground equipment can cause children to fall or suffer cuts and lacerations.
- Daycare or school accidents – Poor supervision and hazardous equipment can lead to needless student injuries.
Because small children cannot always explain what happened to them, it can be very frustrating for parents to piece together exactly how their child suffered an injury. That is why it is critical to reach out to an experienced Joliet child injury attorney as soon as possible. A seasoned Joliet attorney could gather and review all of the necessary evidence, such as police reports, medical records, and eyewitness testimony, to determine what caused the child’s accident and if anyone bears legal responsibility for the resulting injuries.
Parents Need to Act Quickly When Children Suffer Injuries
After suffering a serious injury, parents’ most important concern is for their child to receive the best possible medical care. An injured child might need to receive medical assistance both immediately after the accident and then periodically throughout their life. Unfortunately, some injuries suffered in childhood can have long-term implications for the rest of a child’s life. A simple fall on the playground resulting in a blow to the head could lead to a lifetime of cognitive impairments, requiring costly follow-up treatments, rehabilitation, and therapy. A successful resolution of a lawsuit could help.
The state offers a generous statute of limitations for child accident victims. In most cases of child injuries, families have until two years after the child’s 18th birthday to file suit. Although this policy gives families a great deal of time to file suit, it would be beneficial to speak with a local lawyer as soon as possible after an accident, as people’s memories of the accident may fade with time, evidence could be lost, and eyewitnesses may move and be hard to locate. It may be critical to secure the help of a seasoned Joliet child injury attorney who could track down and secure all of the relevant evidence as soon as possible.
Reach Out to a Joliet Child Injury Attorney for Help
If somebody hurt your child, that person should face justice. Let a Joliet child injury lawyer help you while you focus on your child’s recovery. Dedicated legal professionals could help your family regain the financial stability you need to care for your injured child. Call the office today.