If you have been injured, the first step is to receive immediate medical attention. Your physician or emergency medical providers can assess and treat your injuries. After the damage has been assessed, how long will it take to settle your injury case?
Unfortunately, no one answer fits every injury case. Some cases settle in a manner of weeks, while others may take years. The important thing to consider is the amount of treatment needed to attain maximum medical improvement. If you settle too soon, you may not receive full compensation.
What factors contribute to the time it takes to settle an injury case?
- the severity of the injury sustained
- the amount of investigation needed for your case
- investigation of the scene and events preceding and during the injury (photographs, testimonies, witness interviews, etc.)
- investigation of what happened directly after the injury (medical treatment, proper reporting of the injury, etc.)
- an investigation into your credibility, the actual severity of your injury, and the possibility of building a strong defense to your claim
- the case involves big money
- the amount of time it takes you to attain maximum medical improvement
- insurers wanting to “wait it out” to see if you will settle for less
- the case may need to go to trial
When you are injured, contacting a lawyer is your best choice.
It may be tempting to settle your case quickly because you need the money right away for medical bills. Hurrying your case along may get you some cash sooner, but it may also lead you to settle for less than full compensation. This may put you in a situation where you have further medical needs, but no way to get further resources from the liable party.
This is especially true in injuries that take time to heal. It is not always immediately clear what treatments may be needed. For example, your physician may start with fewer invasion treatments, such as physical therapy, before determining down the road that you need surgery.
Hiring a lawyer who specializes in personal injury is a smart move because your lawyer has experience with these cases. Your lawyer can simplify the process for you by doing all the behind the scenes work. Personal injury lawyers can navigate the legal system on your behalf and ensure that nothing is left undone.
Personal injury lawyers are familiar with the defense tactics of the liable party and their insurance and know how to fight for your right to fair compensation.
In some cases, it becomes necessary to go to trial.
If a judge finds that you have the right to sue the liable party, the liable party may try to convince you to settle outside of court. Even if you decide to go this route to avoid a potentially lengthy trial, consulting an attorney beforehand will help you make an informed decision.
If you or a loved one has been injured, contact us today. We will stand by your side in making sure you get the care you need and deserve.