No one wants to think about a child being injured. We want to believe that people and institutions are diligent in taking precautions to reduce the risk of injury to a child. Sadly, thousands of children are injured and killed each year in preventable accidents. The legal team of Costa Ivone Injury Lawyers hopes that your family never experiences the heartbreak of a child injury. We also want you to know that we are here for you and your child should you need assistance filing an injury claim against the negligent party who caused an injury to your child.
Common Causes of Child Injuries
There are many incidents and situations that can result in the serious injury of a child. Some of the most common personal injury accidents that result in injuries to children include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Accidents involving motor vehicles, including bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents, continue to be one of the most common causes of childhood injuries.
- Playground Accidents — Improperly maintained and unsafe playgrounds are another common cause of injuries to children. Even on a well-maintained playground, failure to monitor children and allowing hazardous conditions to remain on the property can result in an accidental injury.
- Dog Attacks and Dog Bites — Dog bites and attacks can cause serious and life-threatening injuries for children. Children who are bitten or attacked by dogs can have scarring, disfigurement, permanent impairment, and emotional trauma.
- Slips, Trips, and Falls — Children who fall because of dangerous or hazardous conditions can suffer broken bones, back injuries, and head trauma that results in impairments or problems with normal growth. Premises liability claims may also include swimming pool accidents, amusement party accident, and school accidents.
- Sports Activities — Even though you assume some risk when you participate in a sports activity, adequate supervision and equipment maintenance are still required. A child injured because of a sports activity may have an injury claim depending on the facts of the case.
- Defective Products — Dangerous or defective toys can cause serious and life-threatening injuries for children. The product’s designer, manufacturer, distributor, and seller can potentially be liable for injuries and damages caused by a defective or dangerous product.
- Medical Malpractice — You trust your child’s doctor and health care providers to care for your child. If a medical provider commits a medical error or medical negligence, your child might have a medical malpractice claim against the provider.
Other incidents can also result in a personal injury claim for a child. Child injuries can happen anywhere. If your child is injured, talk to a Chicago child injury lawyer in our office. We will evaluate your case free of charge and give you the legal advice you need to be a strong advocate for your child’s legal rights.
What Should I Do If My Child Is Injured?
- Seek Medical Care
If your child is injured, the first priority is to seek medical care for your child. Make sure that you tell the physician all the details of the injury.
- Document the Accident Scene
Documenting the accident scene is important. If possible, ask eyewitnesses for their names and contact information. Also, take pictures or make a video of the accident scene. If the injury is the result of a traffic accident or dog attack, contact the police immediately to file a report.
When a product causes an injury, keep the product (if it is safe to do so), packaging, and instructions. For accidents that occur on another party’s property, file an accident report with the property owner immediately, in addition to taking photographs of the area.
- Document Injuries and Damages
Document your child’s injury by taking pictures of the injury, including pictures of the injury during your child’s recovery. It can be helpful to keep a journal with notes regarding your child’s struggle to recover from the injuries, including daily pain levels, emotional suffering, missed activities, and other hardships your child endures because of the injury.
- Get Help from an Illinois Child Injury Lawyer
Because your first priority is your child’s health and well-being, investigating an accident and handling an injury claim can be difficult. Contacting a child injury lawyer in Chicago to handle the legal aspects of an injury claim allows you to focus solely on your child’s physical and emotional needs. Furthermore, an attorney provides the legal expertise you need when you are fighting for fair and just compensation for your child’s injuries and damages.
Contact a Chicago Child Injury Lawyer for Help
Dealing with an injury claim can be overwhelming when you are injured. When your child is suffering, it can be impossible to think about anything other than your child’s needs. We want to help. Our team of legal professionals handles all aspects of your child’s injury claim.
Contact the Chicago child injury lawyers of the Costa Ivone Injury Lawyers by calling (708) 400-0000 to schedule a free consultation.
Costa Ivone, LLC
311 N Aberdeen St #100B, Chicago, IL 60607