It is always a wise idea to see your doctor for a complete physical after any fall or accidental injury. Some injuries may not be immediately known after a fall. In some cases, you may have delayed symptoms that you might not necessarily associate with a fall unless you consult with your physician. Therefore, it is usually best to see a doctor after a slip and fall accident to protect your health. In addition, seeing a doctor can also help protect your right to recover full compensation from a negligent property owner.
Insurance Companies Use Delays in Medical Treatment to Their Advantage
Insurance companies typically search for any reason to deny or undervalue a personal injury claim. Companies are not evil or trying to add to a victim’s pain and suffering. However, an insurance company does not make money by paying large settlement claims for slip and fall accidents or any other personal injury accident. For an insurance provider, attempting to limit liability is nothing more than a business strategy for protecting profits. Unfortunately for you, this business strategy is extremely personal.
You may be in a great deal of pain after a fall, and you may not be able to work for weeks or months after the slip and fall accident. Because of a delay in medical treatment, the insurance company may claim that your injuries were not sustained in the fall. It might try to claim that your delay in seeking treatment made your condition worse than had you seen a doctor right after the fall.
In many cases, experienced Chicago slip and fall attorneys can win an argument related to delayed medical treatment. However, delays in medical care can complicate a slip and fall claim and cause delays in settlement. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that a victim may receive full compensation for a personal injury claim regardless of the circumstances or when the person sought medical care. Therefore, it is best for your health and a potential injury claim to see a doctor as soon as possible after a slip and fall accident.
What Steps Should I Take After a Slip and Fall Accident in Chicago?
Some of the steps that our Chicago slip and fall attorneys suggest that you take after a fall include:
- Report the fall immediately. Locate the property owner, store manager, or other person of authority to report the fall. Request a copy of the written report for your records. If the person refuses to create a written report, you need to make sure you obtain the person’s name and title. You should also make a note of the date and time of the fall.
- See a doctor. As quickly as possible after the fall, you need to see a doctor. As discussed above, this step can help protect your claim and your health.
- Take photographs and make videos. If possible, try to take photographs and make videos of the accident scene. The property owner may correct the hazard after you fall. Therefore, it can be very helpful to have evidence of how the area appeared when you fell.
- Ask for eyewitness information. If other people saw you fall, you need to ask them for their names and contact information. Eyewitness testimony can be very useful in a slip and fall case.
- Save your shoes and clothing. It is a good idea to preserve your shoes and clothing just in case your attorney needs these items as evidence in your case.
- Do not provide statements or sign releases. The insurance provider or the property owner may ask you to provide a written or recorded statement or sign a medical authorization release. You should consult with a slip and fall attorney in Chicago before providing any statements or signing any releases.
- Avoid posting information online. Anything you post on social media or online could be used against you later in your slip and fall case. Refrain from posting anything, including pictures or comments, online until after you consult with an attorney.
Call a Chicago Slip and Fall Attorney for More Information
Slip and fall claims are filed under Illinois premises liability laws. These personal injury claims can be complex and difficult to settle. A personal injury lawyer in Chicago with experience handling slip and fall claims can help you avoid mistakes that could delay or decrease your settlement.
Contact the Costa Ivone Injury Lawyers by calling (708) 400-0000 for a free consultation or contact us online or by email.